Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:40:33 -0500
From:         "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fire Suppression Solutions

Ok, there has been enough talk on this subject to make me so totally paranoid about driving this vehicle that I fear for my kid's lives!!!

First thing,

Is there an "official" set of hoses that can be replaced? I haven't looked too far under the hatch to see just how long the lines are. From what I saw, they had some pretty odd looking clamps on them...if an OEM or better than OEM were available, I would want to buy those...

Second,

How often do these lines need to be replaced? I know that just because mine has 143K on the clock and its new to me (put just about 1K miles on her) I am inclined to change as much that should be replaced up front....

Third,

How safe ARE these vehicles!?!??! According to that one web story (can't believe everything you read I spose) the tow truck driver had picked up 3 in like one week!?!? Is it a ticking time bomb? Has VW said anything about this?

Ok, rant over...I need someone to assure me that my new acquisition is not going to torch my family...I am very willing to do the recommended maintenance and believe it is the most important part of keeping any vehicle safe...but I also wonder about these guys you hear about that have never done an oil change, just add oil...never look at anything under the hood and have 300K on the clock...how do they get away with it!!?!??!?! (they must not have a vanagon...or jeep for what that's worth)

Dave 85 Vanagon GL 85 Jeep XJ 86 Minnie Winnie 85 Pace Arrow 93 Ford E150