Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:42:48 -0400
From:         "Myers, Thomas A" <Thomas.Myers@USA.XEROX.COM>
Subject:      Fire Suppression Solutions 2

I looked this company up yesterday after the fuel / fire discussion.

seems like a good low - tech solution

for someone looking for a fire suppression system. getting it rigged together with a

fuel pump cut off would probably be the optimum solution

http://www.firetrace.com/frames.html

Tom

Having had the good fortune to survive two fuel hose breaks in the engine compartment without a fire - and for the life of me I don't know why it didn't burn except perhaps my Maker was with me - I have given the fire suppression thing a great deal of thought.

What comes to mind that could be installed in our vans is a system similar to that found in airplanes. There are many different ways fire detection and suppression is handled in aircraft but essentially fire control systems consist of two parts. Fire Detection and Fire Suppression.

The fire detection subsystem would of course have some type of smoke and UV sensors mounted in the engine bay, connected to alarms - both light and sound - installed in the dash somewhere. There are so many choices of both the sensors and alarms that I won't try to address the specifics here.

For the fire suppression side of things, in aircraft, fire suppression materials in cylinders are often used, in conjunction with a distribution system, and discharge control handles. Similar to this, in a special computer building I once worked on for the USAF and Corps of engineers, was installed a huge network of plumbing under the floors of the main computer room and all had discharge points strategically placed. Additionally, there was plumbing on the ceiling with discharge points into the room. This plumbing was connected to a bank of Halon cylinders, each the size of a 100 lb propane tank. There were ten of these as I recall. There were sensory zones, and if a fire/smoke detection was made by any one sensors in one zone, the alarms went off. If two sensors detected fire/smoke in a zone the halon discharged automatically. The system was designed to completely flood the the space with halon forcing out all oxygen. The alarm system was to give people time to get out before the halon discharged and air was cut off.

Using the principles and examples just discussed, something similar could be installed in the Vanagons. A copper tubing fire suppression ring - stainless or other if one can afford it - could be mounted over and around the engine. A CO2 cylinder or a halon cylinder could be mounted under the back seat or even forward somewhere - under the floor, or up between the front seats where one can get at it easily and read the cylinder pressure, . someplace anyway, with discharge line back to the fire suppression ring. A pull handle for the cylinder would be available to actuate the cylinder - by cable if the the tank is remote, by simply squeezing the handle on the tank if it is mounted between the seats. But some means to actuate the cylinder would need to be provided. The chemical cylinder would need to be big enough to completely flood the engine compartment sufficiently so that even with the chemicals that would escape out the bottom under the engine, there would be enough going into the area to suffocate any flames.

Tied to this system would be a fuel shut off of some type- automatic or manual.

This entire thing could be automated, if one has the money for the extras, or it can be set up to be done manually

Of course if there is enough money, anything can be built, but then on the other hand, if superior preventive maintenance practices are applied, and the fuel lines are continually checked for wear and tear, and hoses routinely replaced with new, so they don't get a chance to get "Old" and rotten, the chances of ever having an engine fire are reduced to the minuscule.

Just my thoughts on it this morning - reflecting on what happened with my fuel lines. In my case, it was new fuel lines that failed. But not through rot, but through vibration wearing holes in places unseen.

Can't be careful enough.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver