Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:33:27 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fire Suppression Solutions
Comments: To: "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>

Dave, don't let paranoia overtake reason.

1) These vehicles are getting old and maintenance is going to be at a higher rate.- both in frequency and dollars. 2) Parts are getting old, and parts that deteriorate are surely past, at or nearing their life limit. - Gotta replace them, preferably as preventive maintenance rather than after the fact of failure - ESPECIALLY fuels line (No 1) and Coolant Lines (No 2) and Brake Lines (No 3). After those three in that order of importance, not much else will immediately threaten your life, your loved ones or your Van. 3) Fuel lines are a critical issue because of the fire potential. But don't lay it on just the Vanagons. I watched a brand new Buick burn to a crisp in a restaurant parking lot one day at lunch. Something went wrong under the hood on startup, a spark ignited some wayward gasoline and the thing virtually exploded into flame. When the owner started the engine there was a large muffled "WHUMP" and the hood bowed (didn't pop loose) and smoke and flame boiled out all over. So it is not just Vanagons. Most of our fire problems come from poor maintenance.

Now that you are an owner - the responsibility is yours and no one else - to see to it that the maintenance is brought up to speed so you don't have problems. If you have a fire tomorrow, it's your fault!!! You didn't research your vehicle to find out all the little nuances of the machine and deal with them BEFORE putting it on the road. To follow that course is really your own negligence.

BE SMART!! Ask questions on this list. Read the Bentley. LOOK at the vehicle very carefully, not superficially. Open your engine hatch, have a fire extinguisher handy, have your Honey turn the ignition to the "On" position but DO NOT start it. Listen for the fuel pump to come on and pressurize the fuel lines. Look - REALLY LOOK - for wet spots on the fuels lines and injector hoses. Use a good flashlight so you can really see. On the firewall in front of the engine, sort of to the right of center is a plastic fitting with a fuel hose hooked to it. Inspect that carefully. Then feel the hose and fitting in front of the firewall. If there is any wetness at all you have a hose change immediately in front of you. Don't try to go anywhere before it's fixed. Look at that connection with an inspection mirror if you can.

One of the best and safest moves you can make on a Vanagon/Westy if it is new and strange to you is to replace ALL those fuel hoses in the engine compartment. As an added safety measure to protect the interior just in case a disaster does occur, is to replace the engine hatch with an earlier metal type. The polymer models will burn, the metal won't so there is some measure of protection.

Check the front flex brake lines. They are notorious for rubbing and getting a hole worn in them.

Check your coolant hoses carefully. If you don't know when they were changed, change them now.

I have had three VW vans. One a 68 model, later an 85 GL and now an 88 GL. All were not without problems, but they were good vehicles and gave good service as long as I saw to it that maintenance was up to snuff. I don't think there is another vehicle on the road today that matches the Vanagons general usefulness. I know for my purposes it's the only van on the road today for me. The way I keep my van up, I suspect I will wear out and go to the bone yard long before it does.

Give it good maintenance, and lots of TLC, and enjoy your vehicle relatively trouble free.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver