Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:04:34 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: diesel conversion: poll

on 8/3/04 21:09, Mark Edwards at bhs73@SPYMAC.COM wrote:

>> Spend $3500 to install a NEW aircooled longblock engine in the westy and >> sell it for $7K. Right now a low-miles vanagon with a fresh motor would >> sell pretty quickly for a good buck. >> Then buy the $7K watercooled vanagon westy you really want. End cost is >> only $3.5K. > > This is bad advice. > Time for a poll:

Looks like Mark Edwards has asked the perfect question. > Anyone ever done this kind of conversion before? I think that the conversion experts have consistently told us that these jobs are time consuming and costly... taking far longer than standard engine changeovers even when done by a professional and going from water cooled to water cooled. HAS anyone done the proposed conversion? I haven't seen mention of any lately.

I, for one, would think that a already on the road waterboxer Westy purchased at the right price and looked over by a decent Vanagon mechanic would prove far more reliable and maintainable than a hurried up conversion. Long term care will require more money to be invested, but that goes with any vehicle.

On a side note, I would have a sense of very bad karma if I was starting out on a year long ride and I didn't even make it to the end of the first day. I looked back at some of Skip's past posts.... seems he has been complaining of poor performance for a while. If IRCC, his recent post said, "the engine gave up the ghost"... What exactly did happen that it now needs replaced? Just wondering.

I say R/R the aircooled or sell the '80 and buy a waterboxer. But it's not my money...Just MHO. -- Stephen Chillicothe OH