Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:01:58 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: diesel conversion

The posting of Hp figures for the various engines is useful. Of course the TDI has a lot of torque, and not as much Hp because it is makes its power at lower rpms. I have an 02 Golf TDI with the 1.9. 155 ft/lbs of torque at 1900 rpms, and the torque stays above 140 up into the low 4000's, iirc. Also consider the transmission gearing. My '86 2.1 waterboxer with automatic is turning in the low 4000's at 70 mph. Not sure how your '80 aircooled transmission will work out. I love the TDI engine golf, and it is quiet and smooth in the rpm range I drive it. 2000 rpms = 60mph, 3000=85, iirc. I know I get 5mph for every 200 rpms in 5th gear. But it does get a bit harsh as the rpms get much above 3000. And power drops off dramatically at about 4400. If you are really talking about getting the 1.9 TDI motor (direct injection) like is in my car, you will also need the fancy drive by wire accelerator pedal box. Or are you really talking about the 1.9 TD motor (indirect injection)?

I was passed rather smartly by an aircooled vanagon recently, climbing a mountain grade. Don't know if it was stock, but it was definitely aircooled. I was not flat out and trying to make maximum speed like I think he was, but I had my foot just about to the floor.

Edward

At 04:13 PM 8/3/2004, you wrote: >Ok, thanks again. Please read the entire post carefully before >responding.