Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:14:45 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Use this for fire safetey... AND eliminate the fire hazard...
Comments: To: jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM

(By the time your magnesium parts start burning, the rest of the car will be nice and toasted.) I've got to argue that point. I got an engine from a 82 Vanagon that had an engine fire, caught the magnesium on fire in the extended process. The Vanagon owner said the fire was contained by the steel engine lid and only started blasting up under the rubber seals on the engine deck when the fire department opened the license plate door with a hook and really exploded the magnesium fan shroud. You could see that there was an explosion because bits of pot metal, aluminum and plastic were spread all over the underside of the engine lid, sides of the engine bay and sheet metal. The engine fire was so hot it burned out the silicone seals on the pushrods, rendered the valve cover gaskets to charcoal, melted the distributor, melted the throtle body, made the oil ports on the rear of the engine weep from heat and melted the engine yoke as the rubber engine mounts burned. I couldn't safely rescue hardly anything from the engine except the cam, lifters, rods. The pistons and cylinders were a total loss because the engine seized from lack of oil and with a nasty oil saturated engine bay the whole thing fired.. I have no doubt that magnesium is hard to start on fire but I see that it has been started in almost every early 50s to 83 that had engine fires. That includes Bugs, Beatles, Busses, Vanagons and some Porsche.

Stan Wilder www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff at Vanagonparts" <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 12:11 PM Subject: Re: Use this for fire safetey... AND eliminate the fire hazard...