Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:52:59 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel conversion
Comments: To: Dave Rogers <bikeguy184@YAHOO.COM>

Dave,

I used to have a 68 Bus when I lived in Alaska. I loved that machine. It

was basically a tan bare bones box and the middle seat was gone for utility purposes. I used it to camp all over. I had a bodacious BIG Suburban motorhome heater in it that sat on the floor just behind the driver seat. I never had to worry abou the cold. That thing would match a summer day in the Sahara in the dead of winter. Thermostatically controlled, I woudl go out on snowy days, turn it on - it had electronic

ignition - and by the time I got off work all my snow and ice would be gone, gone, gone, and I would have a nice ride home.

I had the engine rebuilt and had it pumped up to a 2150 cc job with a Weber two barrel carb installed. I could have gone to dual intakes at the time, but in Alaska that would introduce some induction icing problems that I just didn't want to have to deal with. At the same time I went for header collector pipes instead of stock exhaust system. These

changes and engine parts - had a modified cam and some other stuff - upgrade made a huge difference in its performance. Lots of power on the road. Never left Alaska with it. It lived and died there, so I don't know how it would have faired in the Lower 48 with the higher speeds on the highways, but in Alaska it was a real hauler. The roads and conditions didn't allow to much in the way of speed, but it was great for hauling a load and I loved it. A kind of juggernaut. Didn't go to fast, but had plenty of power so hills, mountains, etc. didn't slow it down much either.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver