Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:51:46 -0700
From:         Ben S <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>
Subject:      Re: bouncing speedo?
Comments: To: Tim King <yellowdog@SOFTHOME.NET>

i had this problem, too, and decided that it was caused by an angular misalignment of the axis of rotation of the cable with the piece that it mates to in the socket on the back of the spedo... if the cable enters the spedo at an angle, this will cause the speed at which the gear in the the gauge is driven to be faster during part of the rotation and slower during the opposite part, hence the bounce (this same phenomenon is why a universal joint is not a constant velocity joint). i think this also wears out the bearings in the gauge eventually because they aren't designed to take that side loading. i replaced my spedo cable because i thought the plastic fitting on the end that clips to the back of the gauge was loose, allowing the cable to enter at an angle. the problem went away for many months but it just reaapeared when i took the instrument cluster out to put some new lights in. i guess i'll try reaching in and moving the cable around while i drive and see if i can get it to dissapear again.

Ben.