Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:16:31 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel conversion
Comments: To: Dave Rogers <bikeguy184@YAHOO.COM>

Dave, The big advantage of the aircooled buses, both early and late, ------ THEY DON'T LEAK COOLANT!!!!

GM Bulley wrote extensively about making the AC Vanagons more efficient. The Air Cooled models of the Vanagon don't bring the same money as the Water models, so someone looking for a Vanagon could do well getting an earlier model at a lower price and still have a nice machine.

I have often thought about driving the Ice Haul Road from Fairbanks to the North Slope, but fear and trepidation over driving it with a Wasserboxer tends to dampen my enthusiasm. In the Air Cooled Vanagon there would not be the same threat. The Germans really knew what they were doing when they designed and built aircooled vehicles --- in their time. As conditions have changed, the need to be free of potential cooling problems with water machines diminished, and so they prolifereated, as they had their own efficiencies.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver