Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:29:01 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: LED replacement for westy
Comments: To: MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>

At 17:10 8/4/2004, MC wrote: >The driver of the monitor board delivers 5V.

That depends...the stock panel is wired with a 2K7 input and 1M feedback resistor giving a gain of minus 370, so if your thermocouple is delivering -13.5 mv relative to the panel ground you'll get +5v output. The chip will swing its output to whatever the supply is less a volt and a half, given sufficient input.

> However the factory LEDs >are without built-in current limiting resistors.

True -- LEDs with internal resistors (or even better, internal voltage regulators) do exist but they're not common.

On my schematic <http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/LEDpanel.htm> I've got it as ~500 ohms which if correct means it's 470R.

> Both blue LEDs I found at Radio >Shack are 5V (with built-in current limit resistor) this make the >current limiting resistor on the PCB unnecessary.

Erm...blue LEDs require a higher voltage (ultimately because there's more energy in the photons of blue light, I think) than other colors (Reds typically run around 1.8v, yellow and green around 2.2-2.3v, blue >3v for rated output. The Radio Shack 276-311 I was just looking at is rated at 5.0v typical, 6.0v max, and 30 mA. Under test it shows a barely visible glow, rather greenish, at about 2.8v and 50 uA. It's distinctly blue at 3.0v/100uA. At 3.34v/1mA it's easily visible with a 75-watt bulb shining on it from a foot away. A bit hard to look at at 3.57v/5mA, and painful at 4.07v/30mA. I ran out of courage at 4.55v/60mA, twice the current rating and still half a volt shy of typical voltage). Not at all likely that there's a built-in resistor (overall behavior is 400R between 50-100uA, down to 16R between 30 and 60mA). [Note: after running a while it's now needing 4.33v to get 30 mA and it's no longer painful to look at; 60 mA is about 4.66v. Either it didn't like the overcurrent the first time or my eyes have adapted, or there's some long-term effect I don't know about. It's probably over a year since it had power on it.]

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"