Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:10:23 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Subject: Aftermarket AC solution for Westfalia?
Comments: To: Trvlr2001@AOL.COM

This would be a fine idea if we could agree on a configuration or 2 that would satisfy almost everyone. I think an in-dash system like some VW dealers put into Vanagons would be the most desirable. The Behr is ok but too big since it uses much of the glove box space and takes up the radio mounting slot for vents. I have a different unit that fit entirely above the glovebox and connected to the stock dash vents. It was part of a dual system with the other identical evaporator/blower unit fitting under the rear seat next to the rear heater. The vents for the rear were on the face of the kick panel below the bench. I removed these 2 units from an 87 at a junkyard in hopes of someday using at least one in the dash of one of my projects.

Personally, I only need and desire A/C for the front seats. I know others often have rear passengers to cool down too so a second unit under the seat would take care of that. Mounting the units like I described would let the same unit work in all models including Westys.

Mark