Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:44:28 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power steering fluid; does it last forever?
Comments: To: Kevin Mulligan <mulligan_kevin@YAHOO.COM>

All fluids in your van will get crappy over time - some sooner than others. Engine oil of course is the worst. Brake fluids need to be changed as they tend to get dirty and entrain humidity in them and the result is water in the fluid. Can cause real problems in cold weather as well as corrosion of parts. I change my coolant every two years and the tranny (manual) every two years. I'm running Redline MT 90 in it, but still change it. Overkill? Maybe, but its my choice. On the power steering thing, prol'ly every 5 years, along with a new filter. Dextron AFT work great, and is a better fluid than the old original hydraulic fluid.

I know I allude back to my aircraft pilot and mechanic days a lot, but the lessons hammered home by those old pilots and mechanics back then have really stuck. And I'm the better for it.

I once had an instructor - name of Jester Phinazee - a fine man, a fabulous aircraft engine mechanic. I think he did the first annual inspection on the Wright Brothers first airplane. He went back a ways, and knew some amazing stuff. He always wore a white shirt and a black tie, black trousers, perfectly polished black shoes. In all the time I trained with him, worked on engines with him, got under airplane engines with him, worked in the engine shop with him, I never once saw him with a single spot of grease on that white shirt! Not once. It became a matter of legend. On one occasion a betting pool was set up as to when a spot was going to appear on that shirt before one Christmas. Didn't happen.

Anyway, the man passed on an admonition to all us neophyte would-be mechanics "Son, if it's not clean of grease, oil and dirt, it is not airworthy, and SHALL NOT be returned to service!!" If it got returned to service it had to be clean, and many times had to look new. Like cylinders - had to be painted. Didn't matter if the paint was cracked or peeled and the aircraft was in service. When it came into the shop for inspection/repair - it got cleaned, inspected, repaired,adjusted, painted where required- only then could it be returned to service.

That lesson stuck. I have been a stickler about the clean thing ever since. And it pays. It is a reflection about how well you take care of your machine. And over time, CLEAN will pay. If you ever need to sell your van - if it's clean, it's going to bring a better price. It is a reflection of how well it's been taken care of. Oh, a detail shop can make it look good, but if you have kept it up, it will show through what the detail shop has done. Always does.

Didn't mean to get on a mini-sermon this morning.

Have a good day, ALL!!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver