Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Aug 2004 02:13:43 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Trailers

I know this has been covered in the past. That's not what I'm posting about.

So, I was investigating what the possibilities were for trailers that could haul a car (3500 pounds) around. Forget for the moment that stock Vanagons are going to be somewhat overloaded trying to haul this...my Vanagons aren't stock (upgraded motors and brakes).

I have a Featherlite brand trailer for hauling my ATV (6x6 Polaris Ranger). I really like the trailer, but it's designed for ATVs and the like, not automobiles. It's an unbraked trailer. So I used Google.

Some very interesting stuff out there. The Aluminum Trailer Company makes some nice open trailers that would (will?) fill my needs. Hitch weight around 108 pounds. Cargo weight up to 5500 pounds. Trailer weight around 1000 pounds. Price around $4000-5000 depending on options. Electric brakes. All good.

So I decided to look at their enclosed trailers (aka Toy Trailers). Some really cool stuff here. Garage, toilet and shower in the T2 (!) model. Unfortunately for me the hitch weight is an astronomical 950 pounds! Eschew the shower (but keep the toilet) and the hitch weight comes down to 500 pounds. Oh well. I won't be hauling that around with a Vanagon (though I must admit it was a tempting thought....) Hmm. I bet they'd do a custom trailer that only consisted of those two items (shower/bathroom).....wait a moment. I was in this to haul a car around.

Google is great. Google is god. Google is IPO.