Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:10:31 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon burned to the ground ( long reply)
Comments: To: mark seifert <ubervanagon1@HOTMAIL.COM>

Mark, Your post brings cringes down my spine as I think about all the work you invested. I too have invested (too much) into my syncro westy conversion. I think if I watched it go up in flames I would have a heart attack on the sidewalk. If I am out off roading and roll it sideways down a hill from my bad driving, that's different.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope you find another newer and better vanagon and continue the interest. These are fantastic vehicles and they are still around in large numbers and many folks are letting them go for not too much money these days. Since you are mechanical and already know how to rebuild a wbx engine I hope you find an incredible deal.

I know it may be tough but if you have a picture you can post for the rest of us it may indeed get some folks to go out and take a hard look at the fuel system.

I have posted about this very topic to the group to try to get a collective interest gathering about what steps can be taken to prevent this catastrophic event from happening to our loved vanagons, and what we can do if it does happen.

So far here's what I believe are some of the best measures:

1) carry a good fire extinguisher. I would like to know where I can buy a HALON fire extinguisher CHEAP.

2) Check your fuel lines. get up close and personal. Seems a good way would be to turn on the ignition but don't start and go to every section and push it around a bit to see if you can get a leak or break in the line.

3) Get an early METAL deck lid for the back engine cover. This has been talked about. What I would like to know is what can a handyman like myself do? What gauge sheet metal would work if I just cut a piece and lay it under the mat on the rear deck? Is there a product we could use UNDER the lid? space shuttle tiles? wonder board? hardy backer cement board? sheet metal?

4) what about installing a high temp alarm or smoke alarm in the engine compartment?

5) What are the culprits in the fuel system? I personally only seen two places leak one was the plastic fitting at the firewall where the plastic line connects. Other place was the short lines from the fuel rails to the injectors themselves, these have been known to go bad and leak on air cooled engines for decades. There is a crimp on connector that can be ground off and the hose CAN be replaced without replacing the fuel injector itself. These should be checked regularly.

6) I would really like an "early alert system" of some kind, because I believe if there is a fuel leak it will dump LOTS of fuel all over the engine and back of the vehicle in NO TIME. once its all over one spark and the whole underside is a blaze. if it takes you a minute to figure out your bus is on fire. that's a minute that is HUGE. Is it possible to detect the drop in fuel pressure or large consumption of fuel somehow and ALARM it? Is there such a thing as a "raw gas / fuel detector" ?

The deck lid is made of fiberglass polyester resin and I imagine does not last very long in an engine fire. It is also responsible for the ENTIRE van going up instead of what may be a salvageable vehicle. I think a simple piece of 3/8 hardy backer concrete tile board alone on the top of the rear deck would offer some protection. perhaps a sheet of 22 gauge sheet metal under it as well.

There are some new materials in wood stoves today that are very light and will not burn. Its a product called "vermiculite" "ver-mic-u-lite" it looks somewhat like particle board but will absolutely not burn under the highest heat. It is very light. It is currently being used in wood stoves to create a "super hot fire" by insulating the fire box area and allows the stove to burn much cleaner.

A product like this installed in place of the "waffle" foam under the lid may save a van from torching up inside.

Mark, again I am soo sorry to hear about your van. I hope there is another one in your future.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark seifert" <ubervanagon1@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 11:31 PM Subject: Vanagon burned to the ground