Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:13:47 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic window problem in '89 Vanagon . . .
Comments: To: Peter J Buehler <pbuehler@MIT.EDU>

I'm not sure why you are having problems with removal of the motor. Other than requiring a bit of adroitness with sockets and such, it is fairly easy to remove (though I'll admit the Bentley isn't exactly clear on this.)

To get the motor out I think you need just 10 or 11mm sockets (in a 1/4 drive set). The door panel has to come off and then you need to remove the moisture barrier on the lower section.

There are 3 nuts holding the motor in place on the door. Remove those. Then there are 2 bolts holding the motor to the window regulator. These are the difficult to remove ones, but if you have removed the nuts holding the motor to the door, then you can manuever the motor a bit to get your socket on the bolts. With the bolts removed the motor can then be pulled off of the regulator.

There are 3 things that can cause problems with the power windows. Broken wires in the doors (I haven't experienced this myself, but it is mentioned in the archives). Disconnected switches (in EITHER door). The switches must be connected on BOTH doors for you to use the passenger side power window. And finally a sticky motor. This last is what I've been dealing with. I've finally decided to spring for a new motor, rather than fiddle with the sticky one any more.