Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:48:34 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: VW van count

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:31:21 -0400 From: Eric Zeno <vw4x4@FYI.NET> Subject: Re: VW van count

I might see 7 vanagons in a year .... here in Pgh.

I prolly see 7 a day.... Where I live, VWs of most persuasions are common and T3s are a daily sighting, but in many cases for a slightly unusual reason...

In the Blue Mountains in NSW, there is a relatively large enclave of the Brethren.... Now, it appears that the local Grand Poobah has decreed that thou shalt drive a VW Caravelle and they all do. Some years back they all drove T3s, however these days many have progressed to the T4s with the hand-me-down T3s going to the younger families, still financially finding their feet. With the recent release of the T5 here in Oz, no doubt we will see the more affluent upgrading in the near future, and the hand-me-down cycle will continue.

It's generally the women folk you see out & about in them, running their large families around, so the Caravelle is the perfect choice of practical vehicle....so most T3s I see include a driver with the familiar head scarf.

The fact that the T3 did not come standard with a radio in Oz (which was actually better cos you got to choose your own preferred level of sound system) was always a reason we heathens said they liked the VW Caravelle. The Brethren, at least our local ones, tend to shun the electronic media. These days when they buy a T4 or presumably a T5, they actually pay to have the radio (now standard), removed and discarded....

That concludes my useless VW trivia for today...

Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi...whose original brake master cylinder just started leaking a few spots onto the floor. Now I know what I'm doing next weekend...:( '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover Series 3 Soft top (ex-Aust Army)