Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:58:37 -0700
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      overheating weirdness - expansion tank temporarily going empty

I have an '84 Westy that I recently bought. Previous owners repair bills showed varitey of cooling problems. 84,000 miles and it appears no major engine work has been done.

Drove it from San Francisco to Vancouver last week, every couple of hours the temp gauge would go "off the chart" and the red LED would be blinking, mostly while going uphill.

I would stop and check, coolant didn't seem to be leaking out of the system, but the EXPANSION TANK would be empty! (the refill tank would be fine).

Now here's the weird part, I would loosen the cap of the expansion tank a bit and air would seem to rush out then coolant would rush in FROM THE ENGINE, not the refill tank. Once the expansion tanks was full, I would close the cap. (the refill tank level would barely change in this scenario). After a cool down period, I could drive again for a couple/few more hours.

Note, the refill tank and hose seem to be working, because at other times the coolant level of the refill tank goes up and down as one would expect.

The rad fan works, but it doesn't come on that often.

Before leaving on the trip I bled the system. I'm concerned that I didn't bleed it well enough or that air is getting into the cooling system from the combustion chambers.

Ideas? Advice? This is my first water cooled van and I'm stumped.....