Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:47:52 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      HELP Stranded in Rochester - 80 Vanagon
Comments: To: vanagonair@yahoogroups.com

hello to the List of VW buddies.

I was on my way to work this morning when I spotted a stranded 1980 Blue Vanagon on the side of the road. Emergency flashers were flashin', rear hatch was open and the van was not about to move. I immediately doubled back (screw work when it comes to stranded Vans) to see if I could lend a hand. Of course I gave him a plug for the upcoming Westies at Watkins - but more to come on that.

The British chap (Philip) was in the van and waiting for the tow truck. He said the van came from California and he had driven it throught Guatemala. We will need to get him around a campfire to talk more about his journey. He had just spent several thousand on a starter, new clutch, tranny rebuilt, and CV joints and was going to tow the van back to this repair shop in Rochester (Turner Brothers). From the looks of it, they did not do any electrical work.

OK the problem that I diagnose with many years of leaning over in the engine compartment of vans: Upon closer inspection most of the wires connecting the hall sender and the distributor and relays were either exposed or very brittle and held together with electrical tape. The little plug that goes into the the distributor was cracked and I bet not making the right connections. I suspect this is why the van cut-out and left him stranded.

Seeing the shape of all of the wires, he will either need an entire rewiring job or a new harness. (or more electrical tape)

Does someone on the list have a good wiring harness that they could spare for an 80'ish air cooled Vanagon to get Philip back on the road? Or any parts of the wiring harness like the part with the plug that goes into the distributor. We can probably rewire the rest of the harness if we have this plug and pins and more electrical tape.

Please contact me at my home email - jcort@rochester.rr.com if you have the parts that you could mail out and we can discuss the price. Or you can also contact me at my work email - joel.cort@usa.xerox.com

Thanks for any assistance.

Joel 89 Syncro Westy