Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:55:16 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux. Battery-Stereo Amp question
Comments: To: Mark Cumnock <kayakwesty@YAHOO.COM>

Mark,

I am curious. What the world are you going to run off the 1800W inverter? Microwave, electric heater? A straight forward calculation (not considering the inefficiency or power factor, partial load etc) that 1800W pulls 150A of current at the 12V side. Neither you aux or primary battery will be able to sustain this load for more than may be 15 minutes. You cannot pull this current even from the beefest cigarette lighter circuit. Unless you absolutely need such a huge inverter for occasional and short use of power tools you are better off with a more sensibly-sized inverter. A big inverter also has much higher overhead current even with no load. A big inverter also tends to make a lot of noise due to the cooling fan unless the designer take step and cost (vert unlikely in this market) to address it.

Costco has a very nice Coleman 400W (800W peak) inverter for only $25. No shipping no hassel in dealing with eBay purchase. Note: even at 400W you need to hook the inverter directly to the batter with the beefy cable with the battery clamps it comes with it if you want to make full use of the capacity.

On the stereo and amp I think it is good to connect to the aux amp as it is among the electrical consumer that has higher amp-hours considering how it is used. You would want to wire both the head unit, amp, and changer if any to the same battery. You don't necessary have to try to modify the head unit power wiring from the factory. I found it much easier just run properly sized wires out from the aux battery to the various consumers. You can get blade style fuse holders at West Marine to fuse the wires to the head unit, power amp in the battery compartment. You should use separate fuses for the head unit (lower amperage) and the 300W amp (higher amperage).

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S