Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:01:00 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux. Battery-Stereo Amp question
Comments: To: Mark Cumnock <kayakwesty@YAHOO.COM>

Mark Cumnock <kayakwesty@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> The Aux Battery will be directly wired to the inverter,mounted behind the > driver seat on the cabinet .

The inverter needs to have a fuse and properly sized battery cables running between it and the aux battery. For a Prowatt 1750 watt inverter, Xantrex (www.xantrex.com) recommends a 200-amp fuse and 2-gauge battery cables if they are under 2-feet long, 1-gauge if they are between 2-4 feet and 1/0 cables for 5 foot runs with a warning never to use cables longer than 5 feet.

I just installed a 2000 watt inverter/charger in my coach and spent around $80 for a 300-amp DC fuse and holder.

> The cig lighters , will be wired into aux battery so a solar charger can > back feed the aux battery and charge it while camping.I have made a fuse > panel to feed the extra circuits that will be powered off the aux battery.

I used to plug my solar panel into the lighter socket for my auxiliary battery. As long as current flow is low (less than 1-amp) you shouldn't need any type of charge controller to regulate the output of the solar panel.

> So my question . Is a 300 watt stereo amp to much to ask of the aux. deep > cycle battery going down the road , with the radio and xm unit tied into > the aux battery and a small fan to help blow cool air up front.

I run a 100 watt amplifier for my subwoofer, a 5.6" lcd monitor, a VHS player, TV tuner, rear-view camera, my Dometic refrigerator plus whatever is plugged into the lighter socket in my camper without any issues when the van is running.

> The aux battery gets its power from a 10 awg wire from the relay under the > driver's seat. Since the battery stores electrical energy ...that is why I > am asking this , if it were just a straight feed off the 10 awg wire the > standard answer would be no....

> Has anyone else tried this??

The auxiliary battery setup that came stock in non-GL campers uses a 30-amp relay and a 12-gauge wiring to connect it to the starter battery.

Good luck,

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon