Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:24:27 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's been almost 5 years that Gerry and I have lived
              together...
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

I believe that the Porsche community has a larger critical mass to support this type of project.

Another online community that is stable is Brainstorms, run by Howard Rheingold. Their model is based purely on donations. Though, I believe that the server is hosted for free.

It occurred to me that a VW parts supplier such as Bus Depot, Vanagain, VolksCafe, vanagonparts.com, may have some type of leased line or rack. They might not. But, it is a possibility. If Tom has to cut his DSL line due to financial and time reasons, we might be able to beg space for the server from some Vanagon-friendly vendor in exchange for an advertising tagline.

Just some ideas for discussion from a guy that benefits from the list.

-- Craig

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:29:24 -0700, Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com> wrote: > I'd be willing to pay a reasonable subscription/membership fee; it'd be a > small price/investment for the benefit, as others have noted. It might also > provide for other features, such as a chat room or whatever may be desired > (or not). : ) > I have seen web sites that operate off of donations, 'tho that seems a bit > precarious. > My wife is a member of a message board site that seems to do quite well > charging $15.00 per year; I don't know how many members they actually have, > however or/vs. how many people are actively on this list, but it might be > worth some discussion. > > Cya, > Robert > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Michael S. Nichols" <msnichols@MINDSPRING.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 4:05 PM > Subject: Re: It's been almost 5 years that Gerry and I have lived > together... > > > Hello fellow listers, > > > > I want to begin by thanking all those IT savvy folks that have made this > > list possible. This is something I could never do, even though I can, > > thanks to the list, keep my 2 1981 air cooled Vanagons up and running > with > > little if any repair shop help. I do wonder though about all the > commercial > > vendors who benefit financially from this list. Hey,free advertising is > > great--- that's the American way. But it is also the American way that no > > one rides for free. For example, I sell about $100.00 worth of used > Vanagon > > spare parts on this list a year. I should pay something, I would think, > for > > the benefit of being able to do this. How much, perhaps, and how? > > > > The large commercial and "hobby" parts sellers, what might they > contribute? > > Bus Depot is a successful concern, not just a mom and pop company. Chris > at > > JordanWv, well, he advertises lots of parts, but only for a hobby. > > VolksCafe, Van-again, both for-profit concerns. Stan W. in Dallas, Texas, > > did I miss anyone? > > > > The reality is that folks like me get a ride for free based on someone > else > > doing all the work, volunteering their time and money to make this list > > what it is. How can we make this arrangement work better? Should the big > > vendors run the list and pay the cost? Should the big vendors be asked to > > contribute financially to sponsor someone else running the list? The > large > > vendors pay other folks for advertising, and I keep seeing lots of > expensive > > Westy "newly arrived" items being plugged on the list...... > > My question to the list: Thoughts on this issue? > > > > Regards, > > > > Mike Nichols, Atlanta GA 30306 >