Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:39:16 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon@ gerry vs. Vanagon@yahoo
Comments: To: spare vanagon <vanagon@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Friends,

I'd like to clear up a bit of confusion that I'm seeing in some of our members who haven't experienced a server move before..

Vanagon@ gerry vs. Vanagon@yahoo

Vanagon@lenti. The original Vanagon (and for that matter, all things type2) list. Originally hosted on a University of Minnesota server and admin'ed by Gerry Skrerbitz. Eventually we wore out our welcome there and the listmembers came together to purchase a server. This server, named gerry in honor of our founder, was moved (IIRC. Ancient history) to a server room at the University of Calif at San Diego and admin'ed by Chris Smith and Ron (Coyote) Lussier. Around this same time, the air-cooled folks decided that they were tired of hearing about leaky heads and bought their own server. Type2 and vintagebus moved to it. Children of gerry. (Maybe it was after the next move...)

The next move occurred a year or so later when the list's box was moved to San Francisco and Chris turned the admin chores over solely to Coyote. I don't remember exactly where it lived in The City, but Ron took care of everything, including grabbing the vanagon.com domain. After a few years with Ron, it came time to move yet again.

This time gerry was being sent to David Marshall up in BC. With the cross border potential for extended down-time I started up a list on OneList to keep our listmembers appraised of the move's progress. This list morphed from vanagon@onelist to, eventually, vanagon@yahoogroups as companies were 'acquired.' This 'spare' list was conceived not as a replacement but to serve the same purpose as the 'spare' tire on our buses. To get us home.

Because the hardware was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, we were experiencing a fair number of outages. To keep everyone up to speed, I kept the spare list alive as a means of communicating information about gerry to those interested.

A few years passed, David's plate got full with Fast Forward and it was time for another move. David sent gerry to live with Tom Carrington. Once again, the spare list kept everyone in the loop.

Over the years that gerry has lived with Tom, it's gone through significant upgrades. This has reduced the real "necessity" for the spare list to almost nil. Uptime has been phenomenal in Tom's hands. However... it was easier to leave the spare list there than to blow it off. Turns out to have been a good choice. It's moving time again.

So... to sum up:

1.) gerry, the actual hardware and the software in it, belongs to the members of the list. Your donations paid for it. You own it.