Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:20:21 +0300
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Would the List know...?

Wow, what a question! Much of the best historical and cultural and arts places are in the major cities and therefore a bit tricky with a Vanagon, though.

Museums - the Smithsonian and the national gallery of art are of course among the best, and also totally free since our tax dollars fund them. That's Washington DC, of course. Mt. Vernon (in Virginia 17 miles south of DC on the George Washington Parkway) is George Washington's home, right on the river, and quite lovely. Not free. For scenic beauty in the DC area try Great Falls - which are class five rapids on the Potomac (big waterfall), national park on both the Maryland and the Virginia side, and spectacular. Nice hiking - from the Maryland side you can go out pretty close to the falls, from the Virginia side you can walk down the river a bit and right down to the water where the river narrow into a gorge.

Of course there's everything else in Washington - read a guidebook and you'll see.

In West Virginia, around 70 miles up the Potomac from DC is Harper's Ferry - the town where John Brown stormed the federal arsenal at the start of the civil war. It's a beautiful location at the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah. The very point of the confluence is the old town of Harper's Ferry, which is a national historic site, the whole old town. It's very nice. On the Maryland side, across a footbridge from the historic town, is a beautiful hike on what I think is called the Maryland trail - it takes you up the cliffs overlooking Harper's Ferry. It's maybe a 2-3 hour hike round trip, not hard, fine with kids, and the view is _fantastic_. Bring lunch, have a picnic up on top. Definitely worth doing.

Oh, and if you have any van trouble, Karl Mullendore is in Western Maryland, I'm sure you can find his email off the list - unless he has actually moved to Oregon as he was threatening to. There's also good van places in Delaware, southern New Jersey, Westchester, etc.

The opposite direction from DC is Assateague island - a 30-mile long barrier island that's all protected beaches. It's half in Virginia and half in Maryland. You can't go from one end to the other on the island, though, no roads. I've only been to the VA side - to Chincoteague, which is a town, and to the wildlife refuge and national seashore on Assateague. Lovely beach, fairly quiet place esp. after Labor Day, good crabs, nice place to chill out. It's a four-hour drive from DC, or perhaps 2-3 from Norfolk.

If you're into bird watching, the wildlife refuges in Delaware can't be beat. Bombay Hook is the best. Look for bald eagles. It's best in November, it's on the Atlantic flyway and the birdlife is incredible.

Shall I keep going? More historic stuff in Philadelphia, though I don't know it too well. The liberty bell, nice art museum, nice neighborhoods to explore.

And then of course there's New York, which is, in my humble and totally unbiased opinion, undoubtedly the greatest city in the world. (Okay, I'll admit it, I grew up there.) The Metropolitan Museum of Art is among the best in the world for most everything from ancient Egyptian temples to modern painting. There's a million other museums. Walking around the city is grand. I'm not sure where there's a place to camp in a Vanagon and get into the city easily. I leave mine with a friend in New Jersey and take the train in and stay with my mom when I'm in the NYC area - that's not much help. I'm sure you have guidebooks to all the wonderful things in New York. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, that's quite splendid. Walking across the George Washington Bridge is pretty splendid too, but neither end is too interesting, whereas both ends of the Brooklyn Bridge are interesting.

For historic places, you might consider Mystic Seaport. It's one of those living history towns, an old seaport in Connecticut. They do a lot of boatbuilding work there, and it's neat. I actually haven't been there in almost 30 years, but I'm sure it's gotten better.

The Adirondack mountains in New York state are supposed to be really lovely, but I haven't been there. Though actually I hear of them more as great places to kayak - I don't know if they're as much fun without a boat. The Adirondack Museum is supposed to be really fascinating. I don't know where it is, but you can find them on the web - I once did.

For historic mansions, go to Newport, Rhode Island and walk along cliff walk - a public path on top of the cliffs where the rich folks from NYC built summer "cottages" to get away from the city heat around the turn of the 20th century. You can visit some of the mansions, too. It's beautiful there.

Cape Cod is lovely for beaches and stuff. Take a whale-watching boat out into the ocean, you can really see whales. They run them from downtown Boston, too.

Boston is another lovely historical city - any guidebook will tell you all about the Freedom Trail and the Old North Church and all kinds of revolutionary war stuff. The North End is a nice Italian neighborhood right downtown. Have a cappuccino and a cannoli in one of the cafes there. Yum. Plus some of the world's great universities. Harvard has great museums - MIT's museums are not interesting unless you're into technology stuff.

Along the north shore of Massachusetts there are lovely beaches, Plum Island is a very nice national wildlife refuge, nice old towns with good fried clam places, stuff like that.

Okay, I'll stop giving you my guidebook version of the north east! In case you can't tell, I've lived most of my life in NYC, Boston, and Washington, so I could tell you lots more if you want! Have a grand time, and let us know how it goes!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of zolo :::Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 1:52 AM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Would the List know...? ::: :::Hello to all on the List, ::: :::I am about to visit the East Coast to see all there is worthy to see. :::Now, myself being a foreigner, I have no idea of all the important must :::see places. I will attempt to start in the North East and wondering down :::to the Florida Keys eventually. I will drive from Seattle on I-90 to :::Boston, and there maybe some greatness along the way or close by, and :::from the Florida Keys I will drive back across the country on one of the :::Southern freeways, also looking for some major interesting things to look :::at. :::I will be interested in museums, historical places and buildings, :::palacies of the famous old time riches, natural beauty of the land, the :::best restaurants, the best jazz clubs and generally all that should not :::be missed. I am also a golfer and would be good to know where to play :::for the right price that is also a quality course and is a challange to a :::better player. :::So, here I would like to as The List, the members, to give me their input :::and guidance on this matter, please. :::Regards, Zoltan