Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:27:04 -0700
From:         Nancy Eilers-Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      remove mold from water tank-Westy

Jeff,

Can I use bleach to clean out a little funk in my drinking water tank on my Westfalia? She's got a little stinky muck, mold, algae--I don't know which--in there.

Bleach is fairly ineffective when you have a biofilm in place (the black gunk you see). You need to mechanically clean (aka scrub-brush) the tank, and *replace* all of the pvc tubing - this is crucial,as the mold will actually grow into the tubing, and will provide a 'reservoir' for growing the next generation of biofilm.

1. How much bleach to water should I use? Or is there a better product?

3%-5% hydrogen peroxide is better, but much more expensive. There are many other disinfectants, but none that are safe (without rather heroic methods) to use in potable water systems. Well...to be accurate, you can also use either Bromine or Iodine, neither of which however are as effective as chlorine.

To go the chlorine route (after getting rid of the visible slime/gunk) you need about a 500ppm solution for optimal performance, especially to kill mold spores. This equates to about 13.5 oz. per gallon of Clorox (5.25% sodium hypochlorite by volume). It helps to add a couple of ounces of vinegar, per gallon, to acidify the solution.

2. How long does the concoction need to sit in the tank?

You need at least a 15 minute contact time, but a little longer is always better.

3. Is it advisable to scrub the tank through the opening on the top?

Yep. And rinse the crud out thoroughly before adding the chlorine solution. Free chlorine will be sequestered by any organic materials in the system, so the cleaner you start, the better off you are.

4. Should I, or could I run the concoction trough the drinking water pump and faucet to make sure there's no offending growth in those channels without damaging the pump or faucet?

You should be able to, although the solution will be hard on the metals and elastomers. Especially since they're probably pretty old now.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico Phx, AZ.