Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:29:18 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: an issue of temperature
Comments: To: mwstebbins@yahoo.com

Malcolm, Given that the thermostat hold the temperature to a low it can have little effect on the high end of the range once it is wide open. It can only keep the van from going too cold when it is functioning right.

If the size of the radiator was huge the van would be at the lowest possible operating temperature all the time if the flow to the radiator was good. If the flow to this huge radiator was restricted the heat would not be carried away from the engine and the teperature of the engine would go up.

On a cool day Brian's van heats only to a low speed setting. On a hotter day it may cycle the high speed fan on. On the same hot day that Brian's van cycles on the high speed fan if he now turns on the heater with both blowers going he should see the van running at the lowest operating temperature as the coolant from the heating loops is unregulated coolant that bypasses the thermostat. On a cool day Brain should be able to drop the coolant temperature below normal operating temperature. My current hypthisis for Brian is that he has a restriction or air in the sytem. I think that it is difficult to bleed the vans without the coolant ring that became the standard in 1986. regards gary --- Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com> wrote: