Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:34:51 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: exhaust nuts
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>

I too have seen the "heili-coil" nuts you describe and they do seem to work well over the years. I have used the 12mm copper nuts as well.

I recently on my last two wbx rebuilds have switched to using some 8mm all thread in stainless steel with stainless lock washers and stainless nuts. I cutt the all thread to length and insert it into the head and use the stainless hardware with never seize and so far it seems to be working well. I recently had to replace the cat for smog and it was nice to not have to deal with the usual rusted frozen hardware.

Stainless seems to work well.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Farrugia" <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 3:20 AM Subject: exhaust nuts