Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:06:46 -0700
From:         David Menche <dmenche914@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Storing 1984 VW Vanagon
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>

If you must park the stored car outside, avoid parking on dirt, as moisture comes up from the dirt, and gets the underside all wet, all winter, which could cause rust. If you must park on dirt, then lay a piese of plastic sheet on the ground, and drive onto it. This will act as a vapor barrier to prevent the moist soil from getting your van rusty. Make sure the ground is not dipped, such that pools of water form.

Also i use a product called that dries the air inside the van. Hardware and marine stores sell it, it uses calcium chloride grainules that absorb moisture, workes very well, and will keep the van from being damp, stops musty odors, and prevents corrosioin of the inside metal parts. Only problem is do not drive off with it cause a after a while, it will fill the collectin pot with the water from the air, and it could spill. Use this only when van is not in motion. I use it in all my cars nowdays when stored. It works, and is very cheap.

Use some fuel stabalizer, and drive the van to get is all mixed with the gas, and so it runs thru the injectors.

i have been told to run the van hard on the highway before storage, get it all nice and hot to drive off any water that might be in the oil, . Do not drive a cold van a short distance into storage. the cold cylinder walls will be wet, as the burning of the gas does create water, and it will condinse on the cylinder walls. Get the engine warm so the water does not condense.

finally for the best corrosiion protection of the motor, seal the tail pipe with aluminum foil and tape, so no air can move into the engine as temperature change (day verse night) and condense on engine parts.

Make a note af all you have done for storage,a nd tape it to the steering wheel.

Also if the oil is almost due for a change, do it beofe storage, as oil can become acidic with use, and no sense letting acidic oil sit all winter in the engine.

Anyway hope this helps Of course if you live in southern Arizone, most of the moisture problem are not an issue.

PS put rat poison in both the cab, and the engine bay, and if you can, make a habit of of cheking it everynow and then. If it is untouched you have no rat problem, else you will know what to do. Rats and Mice can ruin a car in short order, and they can enter in ways you never expect. (chew thru the air cooled cars heater hoses, which gains access to the cab)

best of luck.

dave ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Farrugia" <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:07 AM Subject: Re: Storing 1984 VW Vanagon