Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:46:56 -0500
From:         Chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Who Supports The List / The Money Has Already Been Spent

So much for resisting the urge......

I'm not going to bash GM or any other vehicle. But I will say my VWs have never stranded me as our family's 84 Plymouth did. My 88 Jetta GLi dumped on the side of the highway for a snapped timing belt but that was mechanics error. And the thing started right up again after a new belt (on a 16v!). Things break on these cars but in my experience it's usually non critical, albeit annoying, stuff. Like power windows that were notorious in the 90s. I don't find parts to be all that expensive, if you know where to look. I've never owned a non-German car though. You have to find the right suppliers on the net or around town, and you have to find an enthusiast shop to take it to. My shop when I lived in Atlanta was VW City in Marietta if anyone is interested(I don't know if he's still in business).

At any rate, I say that any unique problem that arises is usually balanced out by a 'boy I'm glad this is a VW' situation. What other company makes a car that after 5 years of ownership you find out the thing has automatic heated mirrors! It just worked well enough that you never noticed. I've never been surprised by the GM cars I've driven (and I've had a handful as company vehicles). But maybe that's why people like them...no surprises. Except that your wipers always work except when it rains (did Chevy ever fix that? :-)