Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:44:27 -0700
From:         Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: tube amp in a vanagon
Comments: To: Vonpinky@AOL.COM

As an audiophile of many years I can only say, oh, well.

Tube stuff does sound better, especially with digital signals. At the high end of the high end the tubes and solid state stuff gets closer to each other, and given that a set of matched '88's or 66's can run close on $100 and you may need 4 sets per side on a big power amp, the energy costs really aren't the issue.

Aside from advertising and a couple of musicians I know and some I've heard about most pro's have really crappy home systems. They know what the music should sound like and don't much care how close the recorded version comes to reality. Given that the best reproduction really isn't very much like live I think they're right, for them at least.

Given all that I prefer the sound of vinyl records and tube electronics, I'm just not willing to deal with the hassles involved most of the time.

JMO,

Mike