Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:09:53 -0400
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      Re: jacking up tips for auto tranny
Comments: cc: craigoda@GMAIL.COM

Hi Craig, I recently was faced with installing a used auto trans in the parking spot in front of my townhouse. I have the same jack as you and, as you point out, there is no balance point on the tranny. I was under a time constraint and didn't take the time to fabricate some kind of wooden cradle for the job. In future I will try to make some kind of wooden holder to balance the tranny. What I did do, was to push the trans under the van on some plywood (on the tarmac) in its basic position for reinstalling. Then I gradually elevated the front and the rear of the trans on short pieces of 2 x 4. I did this with a friend who put the blocks under the rear edge of the differential and the front trans mount while I lifted it inch by inch. You could do it solo with a small scissors jack I imagine. It was a royal pain and the vanagon autobox is much heavier than the manual trans (which I have installed in a similar fashion by myself), but eventually we got it high enough to get the jack under it. It is still wobbly on the jack but the 2 x 4's offer some stability if it falls off the jack. Its a tight fit and I raised the rear of the trans and lowered the engine as much as I could to get the torque converter end of the trans in position on the engine studs it bolts too. Then I was able to raise the front mount. I replaced the trans cooler spring clamps at this time with regular hose clamps on the trans cooler hoses, they are much easier to deal with in that tight area back there. Also, be careful of a brake line that is on the van frame near the front mount, I managed to hook the cooler bolts or something on the line and bent it as I was jacking up the front mounting. Luckily, I noticed this and stopped before I broke the thing. Overall a real physical effort, and then the replacement trans doesn't like to shift on start up, only after a short warmup, so it looks like I have to eventually repeat the effort after rebuilding the trans. I have tried numerous flushings on new fluid in the trans to try and clean it out, but so far this hasn't worked. Oh well thats the gamble using a used part. Hope this helps and pmail me with any questions. Rick Koller