Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:24:49 -0600
From:         Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: sliding door popping open
Comments: To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>

I had something similar happening when I first got my van. Sometimes it would be obvious that it had not latched properly at the rear- in fact, the door is a little dented right over the latch, so it obviously had been a problem for some time. And it would pop open on the road, which my rear seat passengers thought was a hoot! If you look carefully at the moving parts on the rear latch, you'll see that there are two "ledges" on the large, rotating part that catch on the smaller moving bit. Chances are, the second ledge is not engaging. Try lubing the moving parts with something that will clean up a little as well, like a spray lithium grease, or you could remove it from the van and really clean it up & then use a lithium paste. This simple job absolutely fixed my door, and there's no trouble 2 years later.

-Simon