Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:42:07 -0600
From:         Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hmm . . . second temp gauge?

They weren't installed in all GTIs; they were an option. You could get them in "normal" cars a few years later as well. They're called "MFA", which is a TLA for some big German word that means "Multi Function Display". What's interesting is, up until the 1993 model year (in the US anyway), the parts that comprised the MFA mostly lived on the center section of the speedometer cluster, which also has the clock attached and is just a bit wider than the clock. The other parts involved are a vacuum sensor on the back of the cluster, and the (possibly pre-existing) cruise control sensor on the back of the speedo. What I'm getting at is, maybe it's possible to mount the MFA on the back of the Van's instrument cluster. The only real obstacle would appear to be the height of the MFA's (clock's) mounting board, compared to the Van's. Anyone out there tried this?

-Simon