Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:25:12 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: tube amp in a vanagon

Mikey, your grey is showing...but how true. I sold a matched set of four Gold Lion KT-88s for far more than the list would believe. Sold three RCA not matched for 250$ long ago.

Sold the Criterion III amps wired mono for $1000 with fresh tubes and caps because (rvc) they wouldn't fit in the vanagon.

With my advanced hearing, screams, whines and anything above 16khz falls on deaf ears so to speak.

Before I would spend a nickel on new audio stuff, I'd spend a dollar on the acoustic environment into which it might be placed.

Of course if your preferences tend towards 145db WompWomp interspersed with barely intelligible ethnic rapple, any system will do. However for vintage Solti and Chicago, a slightly more refined system might be necessary. I might recommend the Blau Los Angeles with an MPD01 and 4gb with your choice of amplifier and "real" speakers, not something that you put in a hole in the door.

But then I'd have to silence the whole audio space and do a spark analysis to tune the remaining and frankly I'd rather fish.