Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:05:31 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaking rear side window

Stephen,

I took a closer look at my rear vent this morning. Like I mention it does has a spring loaded flap. You can see it closed if you look carefully from the outside under good lighting. Your friend's problem is likely due to a debris holding the vent in a slight open position allowing the water to run down into the inside. You can inpect this easily from the outside.

From what I can see, the vent cannot be removed without removing the window glass from the gasket also.

My foam is still nice and solid on the inside.

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S

Stephen,

I have never taken my vents as they never give me problem. Here are my thoughts with the problem.

1) There should be nothing to go wrong in these vents. From camping in windy night I can head a flap snapping open and shut. I believe there is a flap that snap shut normally and opens when the cabin pressure is slight higher than the outside (when in a move).

2) If the foam (like most other foam in the venting system also disintegrated after all these years) has rotten there may be pieces of them now fallen to the bottom. The wicking effect can draw drain water in a otherwise good vent mechanism.

3)There may a a bigger piece of foam has lodged the flap open in such a manner allowing water to get in.