Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:05 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wha's going on with the list
Comments: To: "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@RELITECH.COM>

Thanks Tom, for all you've done for this list. May your heads never leak and may your wheels stay always 'twixt the ditches.

Cheers, Doug

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc:

Subject: Wha's going on with the list

Hey folks,

Been a lot of conversation about the list, the new list-master, $$ and whatnot. Here's the straight deal:

The Vanagon server is moving to a new location sometime in mid-to-late September. Jim Arnott, who has been keeper of the "spare" list for years, has agreed to give our server (Gerry) a new home in a very good place. He is also willing to take over the duties of list-Mom... so be sure to treat him nice!

Before the move, I am going to upgrade the hardware and operating system that Gerry runs on. That will give Jim an easy ride for a while as he comes up to speed on ListServ operation.

The server the list owns now was bought in 2001, and is slow by today's standards. We will be going from a P3-800 to a P4-2.4. This should help speed up the archive searches. I think there is close to enough $$ in the Vanagon account to pay for both right now. So hold off on sending any more $$, if we come up short we can pass the hat.

As to why I never asked for $$, for one thing, we simply haven't needed it. The server has been rock solid since 2001, and the software has performed well.

Also - My thought is that it would be right to use donations to pay for connectivity. Hardware, software and replacement server parts, sure...but not the connectivity. Another aspect is that I never wanted to manage the $$. That's like a job, y'know!

The simple fact of the matter is that I am in a different place in my life now, and I don't have $$ to keep my fast connectivity or the time requried to properly manage the list.

I've enjoyed being Gerry's host, it's just time for me to be another slightly demented list member. :)

Thanks, TomC