Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:45:06 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Things to put under the driver's seat - ANTI FREEZE WARNING!!!

-snip- I also think that the odds of needing it in an emergency are minor. -snip-

Might be true up there in NY, but out here in the lower forty acres of Hell, we think otherwise. Just about everybody I know that plans on driving farther than the end of their street carries stuff related to a 'coolant emergency': spare radiator/pressure cap, spare hose clamps in different sizes, spare thermostat and gasket, some spare hoses, tools, etc. and a full replacement capacity of water/coolant or mix. In sixteen years here, I've had to use 'em all one point or another, more than once sometimes, and I'm pretty good at maintaining my stuff. We also carry plenty of drinking water just in case- 150% of what you think you'd need for say, two days for everybody in the car- thermal blankets, stuff for a desert still, you name it. I drive from the pissant little desert town we live in (one of the 'gateway(s) to death valley) to the little pissant town my Dad lives in (AZ) all the time- ambient temps this time of year over most of the trip will be 110-120, nevermind what the temps get to on the asphalt/concrete of the highways, and it's sometimes 70 miles between 'services'. Little kids and old people can be in big trouble in the time it takes to get towed anywhere out there. One of the reasons I like the Vanagon is that there's plenty of room for all this stuff and the other less necessary stuff, like clothes. : )

People that have just moved here get dangerously dehydrated before they even realize they're in trouble; you see travelers on the news and on the side of the highways all the time that had no real idea of what they were getting into.

Not trying to be too melodramatic, necessarily, but it is what it is. I'm sure 'ol John up in AK could come up with a similar list pretty quick, and I'd be willing to bet 'coolant' (antifreeze) would be on it as well. If you're gonna plan a trip into a hostile environment, you should really _plan_ your trip.

Ok, I'm done now. : )

Cya, Robert