Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:03:47 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Looking for project van

>Group > I have just picked up a boxter engine and transmission and would >like to find a 90 or 91 Carat or poptop weekender with a blown >engine and a nice body to put it in. It may be crazy but I have two >friends (street rod builders no not Jesse James) that say they would >love the challenge. So if anyone out there has a late model vanagon >that needs an atomic heart transplant I have found a donor. I live >in the DC area but would go almost anywhere to make the right deal. >Thanks >Brent

Go for it! The T3 chassis can take far more power than a Boxster engine can produce.

>If this is the case I would highly recommend against such a project. I'm not >saying that it can't be done, but the electronics work will be a nightmare. >I used to work in the service department at a Porsche Dealer. Even the >Master Techs were driven crazy by the electronics in these new cars. >Virtually every component has to "talk" with virtually every other >component. I'm not just talking engine and transmission here. The brain for >the engine will want to speak extensively with the transmission. In >addition, there is an endless interaction between the engine computer and >the instrument cluster. The ignition cluster has to speak with the ignition >switch, which, in turn, must speak with the key (actually there is a "pill" >in the key head). > >Some of the modern Carreras and Boxsters MUST speak with the radio, and, if >equipped, the navigation system. Finally, at times there will need to be >interaction with the ABS system (none on Vanagons) and the traction control >units (ditto).

An inexpensive option is to ditch the Boxster electronics and fit an aftermarket management system such as the NZ Link or Aussie MoTech. I can put you onto a Link distributor here (don't buy in the US, you'll be skinned!).

>The Boxster is a mid-engine configuration (i.e. engine in FRONT of the >transmission). The Carrera is rear engined, just like our Vanagons. >If you happen to choose to use the boxster transmission instead of a >Vanagon transmission, then you'll have to work on the >innards...otherwise you'll have 6 reverse gears and one forward one.

Gut point. Like the G50, this trans cannot have its diff flipped, as could the old 915. So you will have to look at another trans... possibly sell the Boxster unit & buy a 1987-89 G50 5-speed.

>The Boxster is either a 217 hp 2.7liter 6 or a 250hp 3.2 liter 6 >cylinder engine. The subaru SVX is a 3.3 liter 220 hp 6. Of course it >has been put in to many Vanagons, so maybe isn't much of a challenge.

With a Link the SVX engine engine goes from its stock 240 (not 220) up to about 250hp or more. Shame I won't be able to try mine on an engine dyno to get an exact figure. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut