Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:02:58 +0000
From:         mark seifert <ubervanagon1@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      My 82 Diesel

I would like to say thanks to Doug for setting me up with an amazing deal on an 82 Diesel Vanagon, which I picked up for free over the weekend. The guy wanted to get rid of it for various reasons, mainly because he couldn't get it started after sitting for a few months. I hauled it home with my dad's trailer, and after about an hour I had it started. All I had to do was prime the injection pump and bleed the fuel lines. It runs great.

Driving a diesel Vanagon is a new experience. The engine is really loud and you have to shift gears more often. There's no A/C, and no possibility of ever intalling A/c. There's no power steering, so it has a huge steering wheel. I'm sure the fire risk will be significantly lower now, and fuel economy will be much better. And I probably won't have to spend as much time working on it as I did the last one. Another thing that's really cool about diesel Vanagons, if the engine ever craps out I can go to the junkyard and grab a good one from a Rabbit and drop it in. It also has the bellhousing and other parts to accomodate other VW in-line engines. But I actually like the idea of a diesel, so I dont plan on doing an engine conversion anytime soon.

It's great how things just work out sometimes. One day your van burns down and your left with nothing, and only a week later, someone offers you a replacement for FREE!!

Thanks Doug, that was really cool of you to set me up with a great deal like that!

Mark

_________________________________________________________________ Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx