Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:14:56 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      When Is A Project Finished?

Howdy All,

I have what is close to the Mother Of All Project Vanagons. I own a nice '87 7 passenger GL that started life with a 2.1 liter 94hp wbx and an automatic transmission. My original goal was to install a 3.2 liter Porsche Carrera engine from an '87 911.

Well, things grew from there. First it was Porsche wheels. In order to do that I had to design wheel adaptors (CNC machined from T6061 billet with 10.9 grade hardware). Next it was the South African Grill. Suddenly I found an opportunity to get a nicely priced pair of ProjektZwo fog lights. Of course, all of this was being purchased and installed while I was researching the installation of the Porsche flat-6. As luck would have it, I found a good used pair of H&R lowering springs and some Bilstein shocks that I was able to buy at cost.

Well, 16 months ago, the major offensive in converting from wbx to flat-6 began. One decision I had to make was whether I should go with a VW 4-speed (inexpensive, easy, no problems to solve), or use a much more expensive Porsche G50 gear box. Of course I went with the G50 5-speed.

Finally, 16 months later, after much buying of unexpected (and sometimes unnecessary) parts, late night engineering, a partial engine rebuild (rod bearings on up), cutting, sweating, cussing, at least one trip to the hospital, and an absolute electrical nightmare, I actually have the van running and on the road. Over 200 miles with no fires, no smoke, NO OIL LEAKS, no bad noises, no unwanted drama have passed now. Am I finished? Well, not yet.

I still need to figure out why my right side parking lights don't work (probably a pinched wire), final rewiring under the dash, change the oil cooler thermoswitch, remount radiator/condenser assembly, install larger steering wheel (no more power steering), install new custom exhaust I am having fabricated, investigate fabrication of new rear bumper, get windows tinted, etc. I also need one more matching front wheel (3 or the 4 Porsche wheels match). Oh, I forgot a biggie, I need to get air conditioning installed. Mandatory in Texas. Come the fall, I'll have to look into getting some sort of heating and defrost system working.

I know that project vehicles are never really "finished", but at what point can I say it is mostly done? At what point can I have a debutante coming out party for Vincent? How complete must he be? I absolutely believe he needs at least 1,000 miles, and oil change and valve adjustment. He must have the A/C. The new exhaust and dyno sheets to go with it would be nice too.

So, when can I have my party? When is he finished enough to say that he is finished, knowing full well that work will continue?

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com

P.S. I don't have a web site up yet. I would be happy to send an e-mail with pictures to anyone that e-mails me with such a request by midnight, Central time, Wednesday, August 18, 2004. Please keep your questions to a minimum as my time devoted to the van must be actually spent on working on the van, and not e-mail.