Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:04:14 -0700
From:         Rusty Zarse <rustyzarse@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Building a bed

Not sure if someone was asking about this or not but...

I made an upper bunk from a 12" wide shelf board and a couple of 1x1's I bought from Home Depot. I think I got two 8' boards, each. It was cheaper to buy the painted shelf than the raw wood, go figure. Measure the width of the opening above the ridge underhang and cut the board to this length. I used three cut lengths for a 36" platform. Attach them to each other on the long edge with a simple hinge at each end. Attach them so that one folds up and one folds down such that you could fold it into an "N" (or a "Z"). You'll need reinforcing but go ahead and put it in place before you attach it. The underhang edge (what the boards will actually sit on) is not square and symetrical. I know it is offset to one side and it might even slant as well. Measure the width of the opening and cut the 1x1 to this length. With the boards in place, mark where they can attach to the underside of the platform. Keep in mind where the whole thing folds. Two of them will fold to the inside while one folds to the outside. The two that fold to the inside should be placed so they can overlap, providing a tighter folded assembly. Attach these to the shelf board with wood glue and a couple counter sunk wood screws coming from the top down (you certainly don't want a screw pointing up if it should come all the way through!) File or sand down anything not butter smooth, top side or bottom side (the lower inhabitant will be walking under this thing, after all)

Its really pretty easy if you dont attach the reinforcement boards in the wrong place like I did, three times. It took me two hours. It should take 1.

I actually measured first and had Home Depot cut the boards for me!

If anyone wants me to measure or take pics, lemme know!

Regards,

Rusty