Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:26:18 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net>

Sam, thanks for the information. I have my engine supported with a 2x4 crossbar in the engine compartment. I do not have the front lowered 2-3". I will go home, lower it and give it another try. Several people on the list recommended this. Thanks to all. The auto tranny appears to be the same as the manual tranny, just heavier.

To other volks, I have another question. I disconnected the dipstick holder and drained the tranny fluid. I was planning to add new auto tranny fluid back in after the tranny is installed. Is there a filler place? The dipstick holder is quick large, maybe just pour it in through there with a special funnel? I just want to make sure that I don't have to get the tranny fluid in there before I reinstall the tranny.

I am an optimist and I believe I will get the tranny back in. Like the childhood story about the little engine that could, I think I can. I think I can.

Thanks.

Regards, Craig

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:09:19 -0400, Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net> wrote: > Craig, > > I think the work of removing the engine would take far more time than it > is worth. > > Do you have the front of the engine tilted slightly downward? I > suspended my engine with a chain attached to 2 2x4's spanning the engine > bay opening for removing my manual tranny for a clutch job. Lowered the > front about 2-3" with a tilt as per instructions from Tom Carrington's > web page. http://volksweb.relitech.com/clutch.htm > > I still had some difficulty getting things to realign and go back > together. When numerous attempts wouldn't quite go together right, I > got very frustrated. Finally, I lowered the front just a bit more, > changed how I was supporting the tranny (don't remember what it was > though) and things aligned right and it just slid together. I seem to > remember others on the list having some difficulty with this on manual > transmission reassemblies. It is difficult to see all of the parts that > have to be aligned just right and a small error means it won't fit. We > need patience and some luck to go along with careful alignment at this > point. > > I realize yours is an automatic, but thought this might help anyway. > With some different support and maybe a helper, you should be able to > get it back together. A second set of arms and hands under there might > also help to position the tranny so it will line up. > > Good luck. > > -- > Sam Walters > Baltimore, MD > > 89 Syncro GL > 85 Westy Weekender > 84 Vanagon, original owner, soon to be retired, just too many problems > > All incoming and outgoing email scanned by > automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus. > >