Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:39:00 -0400
From:         Ron Komoroski <motresyklman@LYNCHBURG.NET>
Subject:      TIRES NOooooo....

Hey Y'all This past weekend one of the old Michelin XZX tires on our '87 Westy full camper decided to spit off its tread at 65mph whap-whap-whAP-WHAP-WHAP etc. etc., fortunately it didn't deflate & I was able to get us safely to a flat area well off the pavement. A real mess-torn up body around the left rear wheel well & a tangle of razor sharp wires on the tire. The rest of the Michelins are the same age (prolly over 10 years), so I'm going to replace them all. I spent several hours purusing the list archives searching TIRES & got nothing but frustrated, so, HELP! I want to buy 5 new tires to go on the stock 14 inch wheels that are: 1. A proper size, We bought the Westy w/the 185R14 reinforced XZX Michelins on it. They have always looked a little small to me. The door post lists a 205/70 R14 97R alternative, does it look larger on the camper-is such an animal even available any more? Is there a 14 inch tire that looks a little "beefier" on the van available? 2. Proper sidewall strength & load rating. Our Westy is a full camper (heavy) & runs most of its mileage at speed on the superslabs towing a trailer/motorcycle rig that weighs about 800 lbs. I'm sure it's putting an extra load on the rear tires. 3. Mud & Snow rated, we DO get snow here in the VA mountains & at such times we can be ticketed for driving w/out MS tires. 4. As stable, smooth, easy rolling (good gas mileage)& quiet as can be had & still satisfy 1,2,&3 above. Anyone who has put such a tire on his or her Westy (or loaded Vanagon van) & run enough miles to show up any glitches please send me the brand/model/size off list (there's no need of ANOTHER tire thread!) Thanks much, Ron Komoroski