Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:01:20 -0400
From:         Hans Achter <hansachter@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>

Craig, You're very welcome. Do lower the front of the engine as others suggested. That helps a lot. However, first thing when you get home, lower the van to the point where you can just turn your body sideways under the van next to the transmission. I find it's actually much easier because you can really get some leverage and man-handle the transmission, the jacks can actually lift it all the way up, and it doesn't take much lift to get the transmission into the hole which prevents it from tilting. I know it's work to do all that jacking and resupporting, but it will make the transmission job much easier. Get a bunch of big wood blocks (larger than 2x4s will work much better) and use them to hold the pan end (front) of the transmission up pretty high off the ground. (Spend a few bucks and go to Home Depot and get some if you have to, they are always handy.) This will also prevent the transmission from tilting sideways. Then use the jack to lift the differential (back) end up and mate with the engine. If you have a helper to run the jack, orient the jack so it's under the engine, and once it's at the right height you can roll the jack backwards and slide the transmission on the blocks to mate up with the engine.

Sorry, I should have gone into this detail a while earlier... -Hans

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Oda" <craigoda@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:10 PM Subject: Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?