Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:08:13 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?

I once swapped an engine out in a Pinto I had (yeah, yeah, already heard it) and we used what I called a 'redneck engine lift'. One 4x4 fence post, one logging chain, one case of beer and two rednecks. Worked pretty well. I was thinking of how you would go about doing something like that in the enclosed vanagon- I was thinking of something like a boxed a-frame with a chainfall, but I like the floor jack. Pretty nifty.

Craig- Just to clarify; when I did my tranny it wasn't strapped down in any way- if yours is bound down too tight, it might be part of the problem. When you get the first bolt caught in the hole, and then gently continue jacking, it forces the tranny to rotate a bit on that pivot point. It just naturally lifts the other side to where it lines up, assuming the engine is lowered enough to create the proper angle. As for the short floor jack under the engine, I've often used a cinder block as a base to set the jack on; if it isn't cracked and you're not trying to lift the world with it, it generally works well.

With all due respect to Hans, I'd suggest giving the above a go before you tear everything down and reset the van- it should be clear in a few minutes it it's gonna work or not; if not, then his way may be what you need. I personally need the van way up there so I can get my big ass underneath it.

All you Vanagonians (Vanagonauts?) up there in the Bay oughta form a mutual support society and social club- Seems like there's enough of you in that area. Bet 'ol Craig is startin' to feel like he's the only one that ever owned one of these things.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Delanty" <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 10:07 AM Subject: Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?