Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:30:24 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Install - Take Out Engine?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

Robert, thanks again for your help. I think that your idea about the chain being too tight is probably correct. I had the chain fairly tight last night to limit front-to-back movement of the tranny on the plywood platform attached to my jack. I was trying to loosen it, but the chains were actually supporting some of the weight of the tranny, so it was difficult to loosen. I think that I may add some additional 2x4's to limit movement front-to-rear and then make the chains looser. This modification to the holder plus lowering the van might do the trick.

BTW, I never feel that I'm the only one with a vanagon. The community is extremely supportive. :-) The transmission is quite dirty with oil and dirt and I've been reluctant to ask for a helping hand from anyone. I haven't reached the point where I'm in a tight enough jam to ask a generous person to join me crawling around in tranny fluid. If I don't get this tranny in by labor day weekend, I'll be asking for help. However, I think that I'm close to tranny success. :-) With this last set of info that I can do the job in the next few days. If not, people will be hearing more questions from me. ( ^_^)

Thanks again.

Regards, Craig