Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:52:32 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: more awning questions (was RE: A&E Horizon Case Awning?

> Does anyone have the new model that BusDepot posted about a > couple of months ago? At > http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details/awning.jsp. What do you > think of it? > > It looks from the pictures on the BusDepot site as if rain > would run off the awning onto the top of the van and then > down between awning and van. How does it handle in rain?

Joy, a very detailed review was posted to the Vanagon list in July by Rob Campbell, which can be found at the following link:

<http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0407D&L=vanagon&P=R5937>

Also, here is a copy of the review posted to the Eurovan List at about the same time:

> OK...here it is...an unsolicited endorsement of the EzyAwning > that Ron at Bus Depot has. It is everything he says it is. It's > compact, easy to set up, versitile, sheds rain and wind like crazy, > and is cheap. It is large enough to provide ample room underneath for > setting up a couple of chairs and a small table. Plus, it creates a > rain-free entry into the van. > > I have used mine several times now, and love it. You can use it > without guy ropes, even in a strong wind. Mine withstood a pretty > severe thunderstorm in the Tetons this spring with no problems at > all. I have since picked up a couple of 18x1x1/4 pieces of steel with > holes drilled in them (3 bucks each at my local hardware store). I > place these beneath the tires and use a wing nut to attach the foot > of the awning support poles to. This brings the poles back towards > the van and allows my dogs to roam the area without getting tangled > around them. Plus, the weight of the van now supports the awning. It > is ROCK solid.

As for rain getting between the awning and the van, the reviews indicate that it holds up quite well in rain. I have used mine in rain many times and have not had any water to speak of get between the awning and the sliding door. The water tends to roll into the sides of the rain gutter. In severe storms I have tended to lower the legs slightly (which can be done in seconds, as they're adjustable) until the storm passed, mostly to avoid them being damaged by severe wind, but I can't say that I have any reason to know that this was necessary. Basil (the Eurovan list poster) has used his in heavy winds without doing this and never experienced a problem.

Kim, I'm sorry that you feel that the awning has too many parts. But I see you said that you have not actually used it when camping yet. Maybe once you actually do use it a few times "out in the field" you'll begin to appreciate the design's real-world advantages. Frankly I can't possibly imagine how we could have eliminated even one part without affecting flexibility or stability. In fact simplicity of design is one of its forte's, in my opinion. (If you think the Ezy-Awning has too many parts, get a look at a side tent!!!) There one pole that goes in the rain gutter, another opposite it for the legs to go down from, and two flexible criss-cross ones to give it rigidity. All are completely necessary for any awning to be stable; it has to be rigid at all four corners. Virtually all of the poles are sprung together so that you do not have to figure which attaches to which when you assemble it. It will probably take you twenty minutes to figure out the assembly the first time, but after the first time it's a really quick learning curve. I slap mine together in minutes now that I've done it a few times.

You can see full details and pics of the awning at: <http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details/awning.jsp>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT