Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:56:29 -0400
From:         Tom Miller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: diesel injection pump timing
Comments: To: Alex Towner <altowner@COMCAST.NET>

Before you jump off the deep end, make sure your glow plugs are getting power. The engine should start even with the timing off but if the glow plugs are not working, it will not go.

The Bentley manual is correct. If you followed that, there is nothing more to do with the timing. Just make sure #1 cylinder is near TDC when you set the timing, and the timing mark is visible on the flywheel. That way, you know the timing belt is on correctly. I usually hand crank the engine a couple of revolutions to make sure the valves clear the pistons before I start the engine. A couple of teeth off on the timing belt position is all it takes to bend the valves!

TEMiller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Towner" <altowner@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 1:57 AM Subject: diesel injection pump timing

Question:

From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Diesel Vanagon Timing Advice

I love the waterboxer engine. No timing belt. On the diesel VWs it is a different story. I have all of the tools to time the diesel Vanagon but I have never really figured out exactly how to do it. Can anyone help me with this? I put a new belt on and set the timing right that way (per Bentley).

Right now I am just trying to get the injector pump timing right. I have the dial indicator but I am not sure I am using it correctly. Anyone with experience in timing diesel VW injector pumps, please share your wisdom with me. I can't get the van to start and I think it is the pump timing that is not on the money.

Reply:

Ken,

Even if you didn't set the diesel pump timing with the dial indicator at all, the van should start.

Double-check your belt installation - be sure all of the marks line up. Exactly follow the Bentley, particularly with respects to loosening the cam sprocket while lining up and tensioning the belt. Tighten the cam sprocket last. Turn the engine at least 2 full revolutions before starting to be sure nothing hits. A diesel belt that is off only 3 teeth can cause valve to piston contact.

***Be sure that the mark on the sprocket for the injection pump is lined up with the mark on the support bracket. I learned the hard way that it is possible to set the pump 180 degrees out of phase. If it is 180 degrees off, it will cause a no start condition, or it may only start with the throttle depressed substantially.***

As for setting the pump: - Set the engine at TDC by looking at the flywheel. - Remove the bolt between the injector lines on the pump and insert the dial indicator. - Loosen the collar on the indicator and push the stem in 2-3 mm as shown on the dial. Tighten the collar. - Rotate the engine backward until the gauge stops moving. - Set the gauge to zero. - Rotate the engine forward (clockwise as you face it), and stop dead on TDC. - The gauge will show your injection timing. - Loosen the pump on its bracket and rotate it until the gauge reads the value you want. - Tighten the pump on its bracket and repeat the engine rotating proceedure to confirm that your adjustment stayed in place. It might take a few tries.

***Another possible reason for a no start condition is that you have bumped the wire on the start / stop solenoid on top of the pump. Confirm that it has voltage when the key is turned. The solenoids can fail; I had one stick in the "on" position - I couldn't shut off the car. I had to deliberately stall it to kill the engine. Interestingly this happened right after the car had a timing belt change and had been sitting for a couple of months - probably the same in your case.***

Good luck.

-Alex '85 with 2.0 inline