Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:57:05 -0500
From:         Mary Beth and Chris Geiser <geiser@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Vanagon Timing Advice
Comments: To: kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET

>-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of >Kenneth Wilford > I can't get the van to start and I think it is the pump timing that is >not on the money. > >Any advice would be greatly appreciated. > >Thanks, >Ken Wilford >John 3:16 >www.vanagain.com

Ken - These diesels are pretty forgiving - will start even if timing is a ways off. Might not run well, but should start. Things to check:

-I've had the injection pump 180 degree's off - I ground down the battery twice before I figured that out. There's a little arrow on the outside surface of the injection pump sprocket that has to point at a timing mark somewhere so you know you have the locking pin in the correct place.

-If you've had the pump off, it might not be completely full of fuel again - especially an older pump can lose it's prime and not pull the fuel in. If you've had the pump off, pull off the top return line on the pump and fill it through that hole.

-Dial indicator use is pretty straight forward; I think others have covered it well here... After I've reversed the engine and found that "zeroing" point on the injection pump, I'll rotate it back forward to TDC and then adjust the pump position to just about where I want it, then tighten the bolts and check it again. That's the quickest way to get close...

Some other reasons that may just be incidental in that they decided to happen while you were working on the timing belt just to mess you up, not because of the timing belt issue:

-Someone else mentioned the stop solenoid - other than the 180 degree's off incident, the stop solenoid is another reason my van has not started. There's a plunger in there that blocks fuel flow to the pump to shut the engine off. That plunger can stick open or closed... if it's stuck closed, engine won't start. Today's diesel fuel is not very lubricating, and that plunger often can feel the effects and get "sticky". I use a fuel lube from the Bosch service place here. Add to each tank and my solenoid has stopped sticking. When you turn the key on/off, you should hear the solenoid "click" as that plunger moves. My fix when it's stuck closed is to have someone turn the key on, then with a open end wrench (I think 15/16ths fits if big metric isn't available) I loosen the stop solenoid 1/8th to 1/4th turn, then tighten it again quickly and have the person try to start it. Timing your loosen/tighten to the glow plug cycle is necessary. This is all of course after you've checked that there's current going to the solenoid when you turn the key on.

-Glow plugs: if more than one is out, mine engine won't start in even 90 degree weather. When the engine is cold, have someone turn the key on, and check the glow plugs with an infrared thermometer after 10-15 seconds. Shine it at the glow plug/head junction and see that they all rise a little in temp. If one doesn't, it may be out. You can also remove the current bar and check resistance of each glow plug - that would be the official Bentley way... Check first that the glow plugs are getting current when the key goes on. Follow that back - there's a fuse that can burn out, or the relay can be bad. I've also had to take the relay off and sand rust off of the prongs to get better connections again.

After all that, they're guaranteed to start!!

Chris