Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:01:34 -0700
From:         Vince S <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: General Inverter Questions
Comments: To: Chris Paquette <chris.paquette@GMAIL.COM>

Chris,

Please see my answers below.

- Vince

http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net 1989 Vanagon GL Camper 1993 Mazda Miata 1996 Land Rover Discovery 2005 Mini Cooper S (almost here)

Considering adding an inverter to the dual battery setup in my '88 Westy. I have my eye on the Coleman Powermate 800. I have a couple of general questions:

1.) Is an inverter on all the time if connected to my second battery, or do they generally have an on/off switch? The concern here is that if it's on all the time, the inverter's cooling fan (if any) might come on intermittently during the night when I'm trying to sleep.

My experience with 2 inverters are they consumes a small amount of current even if you switch it off. My 400W Coleman draws about 100mA though the fan never comes on. I will unplug it when ever not use. It all depends on the design.

2.) Power consumption is dictated solely by what is connected to the inverter, and not the wattage of the inverter itself, correct? IOW, a Powermate 1200 won't drain my battery any faster than a Powermate 800 if they each had the same items attached to them, correct?

Power consumption with no load is called quiescent current and is the overhead. Generally they are higher for higher power units. The current is used by the cooling fan as well as maintaining the 115Vac output. This is the reason you should only buy as much wattage as you need. Another reason for sizing the wattage for what you really need is fan noise. The larger unit will have higher CFM fan.

3.) Any problems/issues with permanently mounting an inverter to either side of the stove? Seems like that would be an ideal place to plug in the laptop, cell phone, etc.

Please note that the rear side of the stove cabinet is the heat vent for the fridge. It is a good idea not to mount the inverter such that it sucks in the warm air.

4.) Finally, would the secondary battery (Optima deep-cycle marine) last long enough, assuming fully charged, to watch a long-ish (say, 3 hour) DVD? Most AC inverter nowaday are very efficient though they output "modified" sine wave. They will work well with most modern electronics including LCD displays. However most TV are not too happy with it because of the poor voltage regulation in the TV. If you are watching DVD from your laptop you can pretty well watch it all night long and hardly drain the battery (assuming around 55A-hour battery in good condition). Watching in a home DVD player and TV will significantly reduce the viewing time.

Please reference my website for a mini home theater set up. http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net/HDTV.htm http://gipsyflies.home.comcast.net/budget.htm

Thanks for any help, Chris '88 Westy, "Rocinante"