Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:10:30 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: bears burgling for food?
Comments: To: don spence <dspence@OANET.COM>

Addendum re: "Best plan, assuming there are trees around (not too many bears on the desert) is to throw a rope over a limb and haul your food bag up into the air out of reach. This is common practice in back country camping."

Whether or not there are trees around there should be a minimum of several hundred feet between your campsite and where you cook and/or store food, toiletries, etc.

" If you are going to keep food in a tent you are sleeping in, keep a good sharp knife at your side so you can cut an exit door in the tent wall opposite the entrance door the bears claws have cut."

If you choose to keep food, toiletries, etc, in you tent then this is good advice. Or you can just wait and the bear will be more then happy to make a second opening for you. We plan ahead and already have a tent with two door openings.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: don spence <dspence@OANET.COM> Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 12:48 pm Subject: Re: bears burgling for food?